Sunday, May 12, 2013

Waste King 9980 Legend Series 1 HP Continuous Feed Operation Garbage Disposer

Waste King 9980 Legend Series 1 HP Continuous Feed Operation Garbage Disposer



Waste King 9980 Legend Series 1 HP Continuous Feed Operation Garbage Disposer
Great Disposal--easy install
We had an 1/3 hp insinkerator badger and the grinding chamber actually cracked and split. So, off to shopping--came across this unit and wanted to try a different company's machine. The price was right for the size of the unit. I took this out of the box, reviewed the install and completed the project in less than 45 minutes. The unit looks great and fit perfectly where the badger was. Of interest, the 9980 comes with a 90 degree elbow out of the side of the machine to hook to the waste line. On a double sink, this wouldn't work. So I used the tail from the badger which was a straight pipe and discarded the elbow. The unit then fit right into place--picture perfect. It seems to me on the height and hookup, the measurements were exact to that of the insinkerator badger. So the hardest part of the install was removing the old unit which was seemingly extremely tight in place--that took the majority of the time. Of other interest, when you go to fit the collar to the unit,...

The Pit Bull of Disposers
This unit is about as powerful and solid as you'll find anywhere for residential applications. It replaces an old Kenmore 1/3 HP unit that was leaking. My little home was built in the 1930's (long before many of the modern conveniences we take for granted today), so I had some plumbing challenges to overcome - certainly no fault of the Waste King 9980. For the record, I paid about $107.00 shipped to my door.

I cannot add much to what others have written in praise of this appliance, so I'll just elaborate on my own experience. I decided to tackle this project around 11:30 PM after a long day at work, and *almost* conquered it before bed - spent about an hour getting the old unit off and preparing for the installation of the Waste King. If you have an older 3-bolt attachment holding your disposer to the bottom of the sink, this one should work for with a minimum of fuss. The directions are (mostly) clear and concise, written in plain English. Whatever you cannot glean from...

Probably better than "EZ Mount" for reason in review
I purchased the 1HP 9980. The "splash guard" contains a larger opening compared to the EZ Mount model. I know this because the 9980 comes with the removable EZ Mount model's splash guard which is useless for the 9980. I have no idea why they include it, but it's in the same plastic bag as a couple of other parts. I can put my hand through the 9980's splash guard, but not the EZ Mount one. It doesn't even fit in the sink opening for the 9980. I saw some complaints on the EZ mount model about the size of the opening which is why I mention this.

I replaced a 7.5 year old Badger 5. It is definitely quieter, but I first put some liquid dishwasher soap down the drain prior to running it. Some people have mentioned a noise issue, so you may want to try this idea.

Overall, the unit has been functioning great. No vibration of the sink like some have mentioned with the EZ mount model. I can definitely tell a significant improvement in the time it takes to grind...


  • High Speed 2800 R.P.M.
  • 36-Inch Power Cord is Included
  • Rust Free Grinding Components
  • Longest warranties in the industry demonstrates commitment to quality



Price Comparison & More Details

No comments:

Post a Comment